- Adware.DiscoveryLive is an adware application
- Adware.DiscoveryLive adds itself as an addon to Windows Messenger
- Adware.DiscoveryLive bombards computer with third party pop up ads
- Adware.DiscoveryLive though technically is not a virus, it does display virus like malicious traits
- Maked changes in the registry keys
What is Adware.DiscoveryLive?
Adware.DiscoveryLive is an application that functions as an addon to Windows messenger. It also functions as an adware program by displaying pop up advertisements in the infected system. It is also speculated to be able to download more adware into the system. Thus it is fair to say that if user system is infected with Adware.DiscoveryLive, it is possible to be quickly infected with more adware without user knowledge. Below is an image of a random third party advertisement.
Once in the system, Adware.DiscoveryLive creates the following files:
Next, it creates the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Matt Holwood\MessengerDiscovery Live
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Matt Holwood\MessengerDiscovery Live
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Matt Holwood\MessengerDiscovery Live\Settings
Please do run a system scan and remove Adware.DiscoveryLive should it be found in the scan results.
How is Adware.DiscoveryLive Distributed?
- Can enter user system bundled with other freeware
- Downloaded from potentially malicious websites
- Installed in your Windows Messenger
- Downloaded as an authentic application
- Installed while clicking on fake updates
Symptoms of Adware.DiscoveryLive Infection:
- Numerous ads in the form of pop up ads in system
- Add on in Windows Messenger
- Crashing or freezing of browser
- Add-ons not installed by the user appear abruptly. Viz. toolbars, plug-ins.
How To remove Adware.DiscoveryLive from your system:
- Follow the below steps to ensure your PC is clean. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you perform a backup for all your files and to create a system restore point (learn here how to do it) before performing the below steps. This is to ensure that just in case you delete the wrong file, you will have a backup/restore point to safely go back to.
- Press CTRL + Shift + ESC to launch the Task Manager.
- Click on processes tab. Click on any file that seems related to Adware.DiscoveryLive and select End Process.
- If you are using a Windows 8, on the main screen you will find an option ‘Search’. Type in “Control Panel”. If you are using a Windows 7/XP, click on start and choose Control Panel.
Depending on your Windows version, you will find one of these options:
- Add or remove program
- Programs and features
- Click if you see any one of the above. Select any program relevant to Adware.DiscoveryLive and click on Uninstall.
Remove Adware.DiscoveryLive from the browser.
- For Chrome you can do it by clicking on the Menu>>Tools>>Extensions and removing the related extensions.
- For Mozilla Firefox, Press Ctrl+ Shift+ A. Select Extensions, select the add-ons related to Adware.DiscoveryLive and click on Disable and then on Remove.
- For Internet Explorer, go to Tools>>Manage Add-ons. Select “Toolbars and Extensions” and disable related add-ons.
Prevent Adware.DiscoveryLive and other viruses with AVStrike:
Go to http://www.avstrike.com/product.php and choose Windows XP or Windows 7 or 8, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on free trial.
Download AVStrike and install it on your PC by following the Setup Guide.
- After installation, you will have a shortcut key on your desktop (which you can remove). Click the icon to open the folder.
- A small window now opens with tabs indicating Quick Scan, Custom Scan and Full Scan. You can select your preference and then click on “Scan Now”. For complete protection, Full Scan is recommended.
- AVStrike will scan your system for threats.
- A result page will now appear with the threats detected on your computer.
- You can either click on Select all or highlight the threats you choose to delete and click on “Remove All”.
Your system is now free of Adware.DiscoveryLive and is also protected from any such malware in the future!
It is important to remove Adware.DiscoveryLive and such malware from your system to keep your PC and your confidential data secure