REMOVAL GUIDE FOR: Trojan.FakeAlert.UM
- Trojan.FakeAlert.UM is a fake antivirus software
- Trojan.FakeAlert.UM is designed to look like a genuine Windows antivirus program
- It runs a fake scan and displays numerous fake threats and warnings
- It enters user system without user knowledge, through other malware droppers or Trojans or through direct download
- Its purpose of creation is monetization and prompts user to purchase paid version
What is Trojan.FakeAlert.UM?
Trojan.FakeAlert.UM is a Trojan horse computer infection that is classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). It is one of the many clones of this family of fake antivirus circulating online with different name extensions. It can enter user system through deceptive direct download when user unaware of its malicious traits chooses to download it. It would appear genuine and come across as an authentic antivirus software.
Trojan.FakeAlert.UM is noted for giving false threat alerts and false warnings, urging the user to believe the system is in fact infected. It then redirects the user browser search engine and takes to a page where there are ads for free antivirus software. This is a dangerous gimmick as if the user is deceived, user ends up downloading more malware into the system. Trojan.FakeAlert.UM also downloads other adware into the system and causes system corruption eventually leading to system crash. In the meantime, Trojan.FakeAlert.UM goes to the extent of giving blue screen alerts and forces the user to purchase some free antivirus software to protect the system. As is evident this vicious cycle is dangerous and it is advised not to fall for these fake alerts and to remove Trojan.FakeAlert.UM. at the earliest. You can follow the below removal guide to remove Trojan.FakeAlert.UM from your system.
How is Trojan.FakeAlert.UM Distributed?
- Bundled with other freeware from other free download sites
- Downloaded from potentially malicious websites
- Malicious websites that may contain the respective link
- Installed in your web browsers as extension, add-on, or browser helper object
- Malicious email attachments
Symptoms of Trojan.FakeAlert.UM Infection:
- Numerous error messages
- Numerous new windows displaying warning
- Abnormal functioning of programs
- New malwares that show up which user has not installed
- Crashing or freezing of system and/or browser
- Problems in navigating certain sites
How To remove Trojan.FakeAlert.UM from your system:
- Follow the below steps to ensure your PC is clean. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you perform a backup for all your files and to create a system restore point (learn here how to do it) before performing the below steps. This is to ensure that just in case you delete the wrong file, you will have a backup/restore point to safely go back to.
- Press CTRL + Shift + ESC to launch the Task Manager.
- Click on processes tab. Click on any file that seems related to Trojan.FakeAlert.UM and select End Process.
- If you are using a Windows 8, on the main screen you will find an option ‘Search’. Type in “Control Panel”. If you are using a Windows 7/XP, click on start and choose Control Panel.
Depending on your Windows version, you will find one of these options:
- Add or remove program
- Programs and features
- Click if you see any one of the above. Select any program relevant to Trojan.FakeAlert.UM and click on Uninstall.
Remove Trojan.FakeAlert.UM from the browser.
- For Chrome you can do it by clicking on the Menu>>Tools>>Extensions and removing the related extensions.
- For Mozilla Firefox, Press Ctrl+ Shift+ A. Select Extensions, select the add-ons related to Trojan.FakeAlert.UM and click on Disable and then on Remove.
- For Internet Explorer, go to Tools>>Manage Add-ons. Select “Toolbars and Extensions” and disable related add-ons.
Prevent Trojan.FakeAlert.UM and other viruses with AVStrike:
Go to http://www.avstrike.com/product.php and choose Windows XP or Windows 7 or 8, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on free trial.
Download AVStrike and install it on your PC by following the Setup Guide.
- After installation, you will have a shortcut key on your desktop (which you can remove). Click the icon to open the folder.
- A small window now opens with tabs indicating Quick Scan, Custom Scan and Full Scan. You can select your preference and then click on “Scan Now”. For complete protection, Full Scan is recommended.
- AVStrike will scan your system for threats.
- A result page will now appear with the threats detected on your computer.
- You can either click on Select all or highlight the threats you choose to delete and click on “Remove All”.
Your system is now free of Trojan.FakeAlert.UM and is also protected from any such malware in the future!
It is important to remove Trojan.FakeAlert.UM and such malware from your system to keep your PC safe and secure.